Louisiana Payment Resources
Summary of payment program
Louisiana law states that medical forensic exams and related services are free to the patient.
The Louisiana Crime Victims Reparations Fund helps victims and their families pay for the financial cost of crime when they have no other means of paying. The fund is administered by the Crime Victims Reparations (CVR) Board under the jurisdiction of the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement. The funds to operate the program come from fines and files paid by people who break the law.
The crime must occur in Louisiana or the crime must involve a Louisiana resident who becomes a victim in another state that does not have a crime victim compensation program for which the victim would be eligible. The crime must be reported to a law enforcement agency within 72 hours after the incident unless there is a good reason why the crime was not reported within the time period. Approved claims may be awarded compensation for the following only if they are related to the crime:
- Reasonable medical and prescription expenses
- Dental expenses
- Mental health counseling
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of earnings or support
- Chile care or dependent
- Crime scene cleanup
- Reasonable replacement costs for item or items take as evidence or made unusable as a result of the criminal investigation
- Forensic medical exams
Crime Victims Reparations Application
Victims of Sexually-Oriented Criminal Offenses
Note the following when sending in applications to the CVR Office:
- The 2-page application for Crime Victims Reparations assistance must be completely filled out and signed by the claimant or an authorized representative of the claimant. It MUST be accompanied by a completed and signed Claim Form for Medical Expenses, a Medical Expense Verification Form and an itemized invoice from each medical provider for services performed.
- Only one victim and one claimant are allowed per application form and a new application form must be submitted for each sexually-oriented criminal offense.
- Do not send an application to CVR unless it is complete.
- Send all paperwork on letter-sized paper. Please reduce larger documents and tape smaller documents to letter-sized paper.
- Do not use staples – use paper clips instead.
- CVR forms can be downloaded on the CVR website at: Crime Victims Reparation
- Submit original applications, original claim forms, original medical expense verification forms and original invoices to the following address:
Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement
Crime Victims Reparations Office
P.O. Box 3133
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
The Crime Victims Reparations Fund is regarded as the “payer of last resort.” It is a secondary source that pays for certain out-of-pocket expenses related to the crime that the victim has no other way to pay.
Coordination with healthcare
Statewide Crisis Hotline: 888-995-7273
This hotline is for survivors that need crisis support, help with managing trauma, and information about local service providers. Louisiana’s Foundation Against Sexual Assault (LaFASA) hotline is available 24/7, all calls are FREE and confidential. It offers services in both English and Spanish.
Listing of Louisiana Sexual Assault Centers