Missouri Payment Resources
Summary of payment program
In the State of Missouri, the patient may not be billed for any forensic examination charges. Charges for medical treatment of any injuries are not eligible and may be billed to the patient.
The Missouri Sexual Assault Forensic Examination (SAFE) Program provides payment to cover the cost of gathering evidence during the forensic examination for victims of sexual crimes in Missouri. The medical provider is required to bill the SAFE Program for reasonable charges incurred during the forensic examination (guideline for providers).
Funding for the SAFE Program is received and administered by the Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program.
Missouri Crime Victims’ Compensation Application | Instructions
11 CSR 30-12 Rules of Department of Public Safety – Payments for Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations and Child Physical Abuse Forensic Examinations
Eligibility for compensation from the Fund is set out in Section 595.020, RSMo. Those eligible to make a claim are:
- In the case of a sexual assault victim, a relative of the victim requiring counseling in order to better assist the victim in his recovery; and
- In the case of the death of the victim as a direct result of the crime:
- A dependent of the victim;
- Any member of the family who legally assumes the obligation, or who pays the medical or burial expenses incurred as a direct result thereof; and
- A survivor of the victim requiring counseling as a direct result of the death of the victim.
Mail completed and signed CVC application to:
Department of Public Safety
P.O. Box 1589
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1589
Toll Free: 800-347-6881
Coordination with healthcare
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse who has received specialized training in forensic evidence collection and medical care of adolescent and adult sexual assault and rape victims. Along with the forensic exam, the SANE will provide medical care such as: preventive medication for common STI’s, disperse Emergency Contraception (EC), treat and document and injuries.
For a list of programs and services – Missouri Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
For a list of hospitals – Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault (MOCSA)